The sweet and tangy taste is the mangosteen’s trademark. It has a white fleshy pulp which resembles like a peeled citrus fruit with four to eight wedged segments. The thick maroon rind of the mangosteen is the most important part of the fruit since it contains most of the antioxidants. Mangosteen fruits are used to treat ulcers, wounds, infections, and digestive disorders.
What makes mangosteen so great is that it contains xanthones. Xanthones are polyphenol compounds from plants who can give myriads of health benefits. All in all, a mangosteen contains 40 different xanthones that can give antioxidant effects to your body which can destroy your free radical that can cause inflammation and diseases. Recent studies show that xanthones have anti-cancer, anti-bacterial, anti-allergy, and antiviral properties.
Here is what you get when you eat a mangosteen:
- It keeps your digestive system healthy. The maroon rind in a mangosteen fruit can be dried up and ground to a powder in order to cure digestive diseases like diarrhea and gastrointestinal problems.
- It fights microbes. Xanthones can inhibit the growth of some fungi and viruses. According to a study in Thailand, xanthones in mangosteen can inhibit the bacteria found in tuberculosis.
- It lowers cholesterol. Xanthones prohibits the bad cholesterol from sticking to your blood vessels which can cause atherosclerosis or other cardiovascular diseases.
- It can reduce the risks of certain types of cancers. Some studies shows that xanthones have tremendous potentials to reduce the risk of cancers or even treat cancers.
- It is good for the skin. The rind when dried and powedered can become a good astringent to cure wounds. The rind extracts are also found to treat eczema and other skin diseases.
- It relieves airborne allergies. Mangosteen can protect your from minor airborne allergies. However, if it cannot protect you from other dangerous allergies like eating crabs, shrimps and other foods.
The best of all is the real fruit since it comes unprocessed and natural. If possible, eat the fruit to maximize the lifetime health benefits you can get from the fruit.